Full Mooning



Tonight, a heavy, silvery moon hangs low in the sky. If I reach out far enough, I could even touch it. What will it feel like to touch? Cool as the precious metal it appears to be made of? Or hot and fiery, as in "Surprise! what did you think?" Will it feel even and smooth, like a glassy globe? Or will it be rough and dimply with its craters?

But, I do not dare reach out too far into the night.....what if the moon pulls me in with its gravitational might? When bottomless oceans weave and wave like water in a shallow dish, with the magnetism of its pull, what chance do I, a mere mortal, stand?  Would I then become the 'woman on the moon'? What would being on the moon be like? Magical, like in a tinsel land where all fairy tales come true? Or dry, desolate and rocky, like the moon conquerors found?

If I lie down on my stomach on the moon, and dangle my arms out over its edge, would I touch the earth? Would I be able to use my hands to smooth the swatches of velvety grass or ruffle the unruly mops of tree tops? Would I be able to dip my fingers in the ocean and flick off drops playfully? I can imagine that - laughing like a little girl, while watching earthlings, Lilliputian, scurrying about busy with their business. 

The moon struggles to climb up in the sky. It is full, naturally. I am full too - sated with my lunar fantasies. 

Maybe I should wait for the vain moon to wane a little. It might come to my balcony and sit on the cushion next to me. Imagine the glow on my face, with the moonlight caressing it! Would it burn my skin, or would it feel cool like a thin mask of aloevera? What would we talk about? Oh, and what would I offer the moon? Does anyone know if it likes some Shiraz?

Last month, the full moon rose, rose-hued, before it paled silvery. Perhaps it had stopped by someone in the Far-East, and was already tipsy with the red! I had better ice that bottle now.....

Popular Posts